Ajiaco Recipe: A Solidarity Meal
Colombian potato soup
3 bunches of scallions
1 thick bunch of cilantro
2 half-chickens, or 5 pounds of chicken
(Or for vegetarians, 4 squares of tofu)
1 1/2 lbs of red skin potatoes
3 lbs of yellow potatoes
1 1/2 lb of guascas (possibly not available in your area, so skip it)
5 tender ears of corn
5 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste (For vegetarians, add more scallions and garlic)
1. Peel all of the potatoes.
2. In a big pot, combine: scallions, cilantro, and chicken (trim the fat). Make it boil, then turn to low temperature. Cook until chicken is tender, and remove the foam constantly.
3. Add the Red Skinned Potatoes and salt, and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken from the pot when it is cooked.
5. Shred the chicken into small pieces by hand and take away bones.
6. Add the other potatoes and keep on cooking
7. Cook the corn on the side.
8. Serve the meal with the chicken and the corn on the side.
(For vegetarians serve it with the tofu on the side and add seasoning to the tofu)
9. Put avocado, cream and capers for people to add to their taste